[ovs-discuss] [ovs-dev] How to efficiently connect docker network to ovs+dpdk switch

Darrell Ball dball at vmware.com
Thu Jun 15 17:50:56 UTC 2017

Pls use the ovs-discuss mailing list

On 6/15/17, 5:46 AM, "ovs-dev-bounces at openvswitch.org on behalf of 王志克" <ovs-dev-bounces at openvswitch.org on behalf of wangzhike at jd.com> wrote:

    Hi All,

    Previously I use kernel ovs, and docker veth-pair port can be added to ovs bridge directly. In this case, docker traffic from kernel will direct to ovs kernel module.

    Now I want to use ovs+dpdk to speed up the forwarding performance, but I am wondering how docker traffic would go to ovs userspace bridge. From my understanding, veth-pair traffic would
    always go from kernel, and it needs to be copied to userspace, then bridged by ovs+dpdk. The performance is quite low.

    So question:
    1) What is the proposed docker network port for ovs+dpdk? Ideally kernel should NOT be involved. I am not sure whether it is possible.
    2) currently veth-pair port can only be handled by main thread (NON_PMD_CORE_ID) since its is_pmd attributes is false. This means it can only be handled by 1 CPU. How can multiple CPU handle such case?

    Br,
    Wang Zhike