[ovs-discuss] connecting switches

Justin Pettit jpettit at ovn.org
Wed Jun 21 23:46:51 UTC 2017

> On Jun 22, 2017, at 12:36 AM, Bruce Hartpence <bhhics at rit.edu> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the reply - I am giving GRE a whirl with ESXi (GRE seems to be the choice for most). I haven't had much luck so far but it does seem counter-intuitive especially when dealing with traffic that does not have an IP header. It seems like L2TP might be a better option for connecting layer 2 spaces together.

I assumed you were connecting OVS instances together, so I'm unclear how ESXi comes into the picture.  GRE can tunnel different types of traffic, and I was referring to tunneling Ethernet, which covers most people's use-cases in my experience.

By the way, if you're concerned about flexibility or performance, I would look at one of the other protocol types.  My preference is Geneve, but VxLAN is also a reasonable choice if you don't need the flexibility of additional metadata.

--Justin