[ovs-discuss] Questions about IPFIX

Greg Rose gvrose8192 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 23:47:17 UTC 2017

On 06/21/2017 05:21 AM, Felix Konstantin Maurer wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> Just a small update. I tried to find the problem myself, and it seems to
> me that there is only ever one packet received per sampling period.
> In dpif_ipfix_bridge_sample there is:
>
> 2113 /* Use the sampling probability as an approximation of the number
> 2114  * of matched packets. */
> 2115 packet_delta_count = UINT32_MAX / di->bridge_exporter.probability;
>
> which is why the IPFIX packet contains a number of packets greater than
> one, even though only one is received by vswitch.
>
> So my guess would be (I don't really know how openvswitch works) that
> the kernel module only ever sends one packet per configured sampling period?
>
> Regards
> Felix

Argh... I keep wanting to get back to this but events conspire to prevent me.

In fact, at the point I left off working on IPFIX I felt that there were issues that
prevented it from working correctly with the IPFIX collector I was using.  Finally,
I switched to wireshark to decode the packets and noticed some thing I couldn't
explain to myself there as well.  That being said, I am new to the IPFIX code in
OVS and might not be the best person to say for sure what is working right or
not.  But I never did get it working well enough for a collector to recognize it.

I still have a higher priority issue that I have to put all my time into right now
but I hope to get back to this and I do appreciate the time you've put into
this.  It has been helpful for sure!

Thanks and regards,

- Greg