[ovs-discuss] ovs-dpdk traffic flow and queue/PMD binding

Hui Jing h.jingict at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 08:03:03 UTC 2017

Hi All,

I am using OVS-DPDK with Virtio dpdkvhostuser Multiqueue enabled to connect
virtual machines. I would like each traffic flow destined to my VM always
goes to the same queue, then the flow can be handled by the same core all
the time for performance. The requirements can be easily met using physical
NIC with RSS. but in virtual environment, it is kind of shifted to  the
vhost-user backend.

To my knowledge, OVS-DPDK transmission can use static qid or XPS (transmit
packet steering) qid, where the first one can guarantee traffic handled by
PMD thread always go to the same queue, while the second(XPS) is using
dynamic queue id, which is not desired by my case.

But even using first Static Qid  (when number of PMD threads equals to the
number of queues of vNIC), it requires that the traffic source VM
distributes each traffic flow always to the same queue, which is binded
with PMD thread, then my vm can get each traffic flow from fixed queue
every time.

please correct me if my understanding is incorrect. How can I can achieve
my goal without put the extra requirements on traffic source VM, as
described above. Or any alternatives can achieve this apart from OVS-DPDK.

Kind Regards,
Hui