[ovs-discuss] communication between two ovs bridges

Scott Lowe scott.lowe at scottlowe.org
Thu Mar 9 16:38:46 UTC 2017

Please see my reply inline, prefixed by [SL].

On 03/09/2017 03:12 AM, David Gabriel wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
> What do you suggest to ensure the communication between the VMs using my
> topology.
> It is possible to create it based on openstack.
> Any help is welcome.

[SL] Based on the information provided, I'm guessing that you want to
run OVS inside a guest VM that is running on an OpenStack-managed
hypervisor. If that is the case, then a lot will depend on how your
OpenStack installation is configured:

- If you are using OpenStack Neutron with another SDN solution
underneath, that solution may not support NICs running in promiscuous
mode, which I believe would be required in order to run OVS in a VM on
top of OpenStack.

- If you are using OpenStack Neutron with VLAN-backed networks, then you
may be fine running OVS in a guest VM.

If your primary interest is simply using patch ports to connect 2 OVS
bridges, then I'd suggest running them in a single VM.

I'm afraid we'll need more information in order to be able to help you.

--
Scott