[ovs-discuss] in-band control traffic port

蘇于倫 yulunsu.eed04g at g2.nctu.edu.tw
Mon Mar 20 13:29:30 UTC 2017

Hi everyone,

Using in-band control, I've observed by Wireshark that the OFPT_HELLO
packet is captured
on one interface(ethX added to OVS bridge). Originally, I thought that all
of the ports of the
bridge direct the control traffic. The reason is that in in-band.c, the
hidden flow only specify
the MAC and/or IP address for match field but not port.

It turned out that my original thought is wrong since only one port is used
for control traffic
based on my Wireshark observation. My question is:
    Does it make sense to have control traffic go through every
interface(port) ?
    This way, the control plane might sustain better if the only
control-traffic port is down?

I've also done an experiment on turning off the control-traffic port, and
the result shows
that OVS spends around 10s to re-connect to the same controller with
OFPT_HELLO
message observed another interface.

Thanks for your help!
Ethan