[ovs-discuss] High Priority Traffic Path (dscp) for DPDK-OvS

Ali Volkan Atli Volkan.Atli at argela.com.tr
Tue Mar 21 05:30:24 UTC 2017

Hi all

I need to specify a number of classes of service according to DSCP bits. Each class of service should be associated with a priority. For example: Packet A is sent with a DSCP value of 0 and packet B is sent with a value of 46; 0 has a lower priority than 46. Packet A arrives before packet B. If DPDK-OvS has been configured as such, Packet B will be transmitted before Packet A.

I know that hardware switches have been designed to ensure certain classes of traffic can be scheduled ahead of other classes, also kernel mode OvS has the similar behavior coming from Linux kernel (tc, qdisk etc..). However, does DPDK-OvS have the same behavior? In master branch, I could not find any kind of scheduler to achieve this behavior.

Thanks in advance..

- Volkan