[ovs-discuss] Centralizing OVS-DPDK Blogs

Justin Pettit jpettit at ovn.org
Wed Mar 29 00:13:34 UTC 2017

> On Mar 28, 2017, at 4:15 AM, Stokes, Ian <ian.stokes at intel.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> There are a number of useful blogs maintained by Intel for OVS-DPDK. These range from simple 'how-to' articles for specific feature to more technical deep dives of how features work under the hood.
>
> Currently these blogs are hosted on the Intel Developer Zone (and will continue to be), but there have been suggestions that it could be useful to expose them in a more central manner to OVS users.
>
> This could include one or more of the following
>
> 1. Expand existing OVS docs with blog content.
> 2. Adding the blogs to the OVS cookbook.
> 3. Creating a news feed for OVS using something like the Planet feed reader for the OVS webpage. (http://www.planetplanet.org/)
>
> This issue was raised at the OVS-DPDK community meeting and it was decided to kick off a community discussion for more input before taking action.
>
> Do people feel centralizing OVS-DPDK content to the OVS project would be useful or is the status quo preferred?

Thanks for bringing this up.  For basic documentation, I think it makes sense to expand the existing docs where appropriate.

We've talked about adding some cookbook-like documentation for OVN.  It would be nice to use the same mechanism for both.  In the past, we've hosted cookbooks on the main OVS website, but they weren't regularly updated, and sort of fell into disrepair.  A good path forward might be to introduce them into the OVS repo, since they're now displayed nicely through Read the Docs (https://readthedocs.org).

I'd be curious to get others' opinions--especially Ben and Stephen since they were so involved in the last documentation overhaul.

--Justin