[ovs-discuss] OVS CPU usage

Bodireddy, Bhanuprakash bhanuprakash.bodireddy at intel.com
Thu Mar 30 16:48:08 UTC 2017

>Hi,
>
>I've a question regarding how OVS utilizes the CPU.  Does OVS supports multi-
>core? My understanding is kernel datapath module is multi-core but
>userspace module is single core. is this correct?

Not really, I would assume you are asking about OvS-DPDK that uses DPDK datapath. It implements
run to completion model where PMD thread polls the rx queues, classify the packets and forwards
them on the appropriate ports.  However you can scale the number of PMD threads as and when needed.

>I was trying to see how it utilizes the multiple cores in datapath module but it
>seems even that module uses single core.

You should look at DPDK documentation here: http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/howto/dpdk/
Scaling of PMD threads is done using pmd-cpu-mask settings.

- Bhanuprakash.