[ovs-discuss] DPDK OVS HW offload related question

Darrell Ball dball at vmware.com
Wed May 3 20:12:10 UTC 2017

On 5/3/17, 12:52 PM, "Ben Pfaff" <blp at ovn.org> wrote:

    On Wed, May 03, 2017 at 04:56:43AM +0000, Patil, Harish wrote:

    > >On 4/26/17, 11:45 AM, "ovs-discuss-bounces at openvswitch.org on behalf of
    > >Patil, Harish" <ovs-discuss-bounces at openvswitch.org on behalf of
    > >Harish.Patil at cavium.com> wrote:
    > >

    > >    >Hello,
    > >
    > >    >

    > >    >We are planning to utilize the rte_flow (generic flow interface)
    > >
    > >    >introduced in DPDK 16.11. It provides, among other things, a flow
    > >action
    > >
    > >    >type called RTE_FLOW_ACTION_TYPE_MARK that attaches an arbitrary
    > >32-bit
    > >
    > >    >integer value for packets matching the flow director rules and sets
    > >
    > >    >PKT_RX_FDIR_ID flag (flow director ID reported if FDIR match). Would
    > >like
    > >
    > >    >to understand the following:
    > >
    > >    >1) Are the OVS changes in place to be able to make use of this driver
    > >
    > >    >returned ³hint² (or flow-id) in the data path for lookups?
    > >
    > >No
    > >
    > > If so, can you
    > >
    > >    >please provide code pointer?
    > >
    > >    >2) Is that 32-bit tag/flow_id meant to be used for megaflow cache
    > >only?
    > >
    > >TBD, if future support were to exist.
    > >
    > >In
    > >    > the existing implementation, it seems NIC computed RSS hash is used
    > >for
    > >
    > >    >EMC only.
    > >
    > >right
    > >
    > >    >

    > >    >

    > >    >Thanks,
    > >
    > >    >Harish
    > >
    > >    >

    > >    >_______________________________________________
    > >
    > >    >discuss mailing list
    > >
    > >    >discuss at openvswitch.org
    > >

    > >>https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__mail.openvswitch.org
    > >>_mailman_listinfo_ovs-2Ddiscuss&d=DwIGaQ&c=uilaK90D4TOVoH58JNXRgQ&r=BVhFA
    > >>09CGX7JQ5Ih-uZnsw&m=NovoJUYtW_IELGmBQfcq_LmZIGaZjtiobvV3LQZNsTM&s=0JxsIyI
    > >>P8DxTHzgbXFk5ziJmbIfB3j1xcUl-4ri8KV8&e=
    > >
    > >    >

    > >    Reposting this question, haven’t received any response.
    > >
    > >    First of all, is this the right forum for this question?
    > >
    > >    Could someone at least suggest who would the right folks to answer
    > >this?
    > >

    > >    Thanks.

    > >CGX7JQ5Ih-uZnsw&m=NovoJUYtW_IELGmBQfcq_LmZIGaZjtiobvV3LQZNsTM&s=0JxsIyIP8D
    > >xTHzgbXFk5ziJmbIfB3j1xcUl-4ri8KV8&e=
    > >

    > I missed this email due to my filter settings.
    > Thanks Darrell for your response.
    > Do you know when OVS changes might be available to take advantage of HW
    > provided flow_id info for the matching flows?

    Has anyone proposed such changes?

This fits into the HWOL category of Partial Offload of Classification.
There are “related proposals”; I am not sure what level of exploratory
work, if any, is being done here. I am not aware of any “concrete efforts”
at this moment.

  I am not aware of it.  I'd suggest
    that, if it's something that is likely to help with your project, then
    you should consider implementing these changes yourself.