[ovs-discuss] Support for l3 vports

Ben Pfaff blp at ovn.org
Tue May 9 21:05:29 UTC 2017

On Tue, May 09, 2017 at 12:36:30AM +0000, Amar Padmanabhan wrote:
> We are trying to make vports work with GTP and are wondering if we are running into an issue. Does ovs assume all packets have access to an eth header. We found this patch relevant
> http://www.mail-archive.com/netdev@vger.kernel.org/msg111102.html. Any guidance/thoughts?

I think that OVS supports L3 LISP tunnels.  In general the support for
packets without an Ethernet header is pretty thin right now, so it's
entirely possible that you're running into bugs or omissions.

There's a series under review that's doing some work in this area:
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/openvswitch/list/?submitter=67904