[ovs-discuss] Preferable usecase for storing ovs port extra information?

Nir Magnezi nmagnezi at redhat.com
Tue May 16 09:12:51 UTC 2017

Hi All,

Context:
In OpenStack Neutron, we have a script named ovs_cleanup that basically
deletes all ovs ports in the boot process.
For some use cases (as mentioned here
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/460524/ ]), we would like to be able to
skip the cleanup for specific ports.

>From what I currently know, there are two possible ways do to that:
1. Use 'other_config', by appending: -- set Interface myport
other_config:skip_cleanup=true"

2. Use 'external_ids. by appending ': -- set Interface myport
external_ids:skip_cleanup=true"

In the patch I already mentioned, I was told that: using external_ids is
safer than other_config as it won't be interpreted by the switch (with the
reference http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/topics/integration/ )

Will usage of 'external_ids' be a better practice to achieve that goal?
I would really appreciate your feedback on this.

Thanks,
Nir