[ovs-discuss] UDP Packets not forwarded by OVS

Advith Nagappa advith.nagappa at gmail.com
Wed May 17 14:02:21 UTC 2017

Hello,

I have an OVS- userspace bridge:

38445c15-376c-4fea-b96d-12c3592a2960
                                           │
    Bridge "br0"
                                           │
        Port "ovs-tap2"
                                          │
            Interface "ovs-tap2"
                                           │
        Port "br0"
                                           │
            Interface "br0"
                                          │
                type: internal
                                           │
        Port "ovs-tap1"
                                          │
            Interface "ovs-tap1"

I have created two namespaces ns1 and ns2 and attached them to the ovs-tap
ports (using veth pairs).

I am able to send TCP and ICMP packets between the two namespaces.
eg: ip netns exec ns1 traceroute -I 10.1.1.1  && ip netns exec ns1
traceroute -T 10.1.1.1.1

but doing the same with UDP fails (doesn't find hops)
ip netns exec ns1 traceroute 10.1.1.1

I have disabled iptables and ufw (firewall).

Also, if i add a rule for UDP specifically:
ovs-ofctl add-flow br0
 priority=1111,dl_type=0x0800,nw_proto=17,nw_dst=10.1.1.1,tp_dst=9877,actions=NORMAL,

i see that this rule is hit.(packet count increases in dump-flows), but
forwarding is not done.

Has anyone gone through a similar issue and come out with new wisdom to
share? Would be be very helpful..

Best Regards
Advith