[ovs-discuss] DUMP-FLOWS: ofctl dump-flows vs dpctl dump-flows

Levente Csikor csikor at tmit.bme.hu
Thu May 18 14:35:16 UTC 2017

Hi,

a.f.a.i.k.:

dpctl shows what's in the kernel space (fast path) and ofctl shows
what's in the userspace (flow table - slow(er) path).

The flow table can have priorities, therefore it can consist of
overlapping rules as well resulting in lesser number of rules.
On the other hand, the fast path builds a (megaflow-)cache according to
the userspace flow-table(s) AND the incoming packets, in particular,
incoming packets' headers (regardless of the action (forward/drop)).

So, you not just see more rules/lines of output after calling dpctl
command, they don't even be exactly the same.

Please correct me, if I'm wrong.

BR,
levi