[ovs-discuss] DUMP-FLOWS: ofctl dump-flows vs dpctl dump-flows

Avi Cohen (A) avi.cohen at huawei.com
Mon May 22 06:23:49 UTC 2017

> On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 12:11:19PM +0000, Avi Cohen (A) wrote:
> > Megaflows  is a  kind of  'flows/rules compression' with don't care
> > bits. (correct me if I'm wrong) But this is in a contradiction to what is written
> in the manpages: " dpctl shows only exact-match flows of
> >               packets that  traverse the datapath lately"
>
> If a manpage says that, then it is out of date and should be updated.  I cannot
> see what manpage contains that statement.  Can you point it out, so that we
> can fix it?
[Avi Cohen (A)]
Ben - sorry - probably I made a mistake
I've quote from this : https://airtoncs.wordpress.com/2016/04/06/differences-between-ovs-ofctl-and-ovs-dpctl/:

"As the manpage says:

This command is primarily useful for debugging Open vSwitch. The flow table entries that it displays are not OpenFlow flow entries. Instead, they are different and considerably simpler flows maintained by the Open vSwitch kernel module.

In a little more detail, the flows that ovs-dpctl prints are always exact-match. They reflect packets that have actually passed through the system in the last 5 seconds or so. "