[ovs-discuss] action part in openflow rules

Haitham Ghalwash hghal at outlook.com
Thu Nov 2 23:53:38 UTC 2017

Hi all

I am a little bit confused when interpreting the action part for the following rule,  I got the rule by initiating the "ovs-ofctl dump-flows" on my mininet openflow switch.

cookie=0x2b000000000000a5, duration=528.939s, table=0, n_packets=176, n_bytes=33116, idle_age=0, priority=2,in_port=1 actions=output:4,output:2

we have multiple action ports in a certain order, when checking the "restconf/operational/opendaylight-inventory:nodes/" in the opendaylight controller we can see each action with different order

                "action": [
                          { "order": 0,"output-action": {
                                       "max-length": 65535,
                                        "output-node-connector": "2" }
                          {"order": 1, "output-action": {
                                        "max-length": 65535,
                                        "output-node-connector": "4" }
                                                }

I am not sure how the packets hitting such entry will be forwarded, are they replicated and send over both? are they load balanced over all ports?

Best wishes,

Haitham