[ovs-discuss] making OVS DPDK interfaces persistent

Shivaram Mysore shivaram.mysore at gmail.com
Fri Nov 17 20:20:21 UTC 2017

Hi,

I just wanted to share this quick update.

>From my yesterday's talk [1] [2], I stated a few issues with making DPDK
interface persistent across reboots.  In my f2f conversation with Aaron
Conole from RedHat, I was made aware that those issues are addressed on
RedHat platforms (Fedora) as they wrote special driverctl scripts to make
sure that they do the right set of things.

There are 2 issues related to making DPDK interfaces persistent at
least on *Ubuntu
17.04*

   1. /etc/dpdk/interfaces don't work as intended on Ubuntu - they only
   load Kernel mode drivers even though user mode driver is specified.
   2. Once they are bound later, the OVS switch may or may not recognize
   correctly as the switch itself has started.  Restarting the switch has not
   given me 100% success.

I believe, these issues are fixed on RedHat platforms per Aaron.

[1] https://ovs17.sched.com/event/Cnty/ovs-dpdk-installation-and-gotchas
[2]
https://github.com/shivarammysore/faucetsdn-intel/tree/master/src/ubuntu/zesty/ovs_281

Thanks