[ovs-discuss] IPsec offload for ixgbe/i40e drivers

Stokes, Ian ian.stokes at intel.com
Mon Oct 9 10:10:16 UTC 2017

> On 10/03/2017 05:35 AM, Avi Cohen (A) wrote:
> > Hi,
> > These Intel  NIC's:  X540, 82599, I40E - supports IPsec offload But I
> > don't see that the drivers  supplied by Intel - handle it (??) Also I
> > don't see any reference in the DPDK userspace drivers
> librte_pmd_ixgbe.c ..
> > Can someone tell if this is supported somewhere ?
> > Best Regards
> > Avi

Hi Avi,

The NICs do support the IPsec offload feature but currently this is not supported in DPDK.

There is ongoing work with regards the RTE_SECURITY interfaces which will be used to handle this type of offload in the DPDK community . It will not be just Intel nics supporting this feature and is expected that all nics that do support it with DPDK will use the RTE_SECURITY framework. There is an ongoing discussion on the DPDK ML with regards to its design and use below

http://dpdk.org/dev/patchwork/patch/29835/

Currently I'm also looking at implementing IPsec (non-offload, look aside only) using VPMDs and QAT devices in OVS with DPDK although this work is at early stages. It may be of use to you as I would hope to integrate it with offload functionality down the line.

If you have any feedback I would be interested to hear.

https://mail.openvswitch.org/pipermail/ovs-dev/2017-August/337919.html

Thanks
Ian