[ovs-discuss] OVS bridge on boot in Debian

Omar Ramadan oramadan at fb.com
Thu Oct 12 17:29:00 UTC 2017

Hi list,

I am using OVS 2.7.90 with Debian 8.7 and want to configure the switch to be loaded on system initialization. I have installed the service "openvswitch-switch" and added the following in /etc/network/interfaces

allow-ovs br0

iface br0 inet dhcp

    ovs_type OVSBridge

    ovs_ports eth0

allow-br0 eth0

iface eth0 inet manual

    ovs_bridge br0

    ovs_type OVSPort

I am still unable to load br0 with ifup.

vagrant at magma-dev:/etc/network/interfaces.d$ sudo ifup br0

Cannot find device "br0"

Bind socket to interface: No such device

exiting.

Failed to bring up br0.

How do these interfaces get set up? Is there anyway to debug this? I've built this package from source, so I want to make sure I am not missing dependencies. Also should I be adding any additional systemctl units or should adding "openvswitch-switch" be enough?

Best,
Omar