[ovs-discuss] OVS bridge on boot in Debian

Ben Pfaff blp at ovn.org
Thu Oct 12 17:39:05 UTC 2017

On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 05:29:00PM +0000, Omar Ramadan wrote:
> Hi list,
>

> I am using OVS 2.7.90 with Debian 8.7 and want to configure the switch to be loaded on system initialization. I have installed the service "openvswitch-switch" and added the following in /etc/network/interfaces
>

> allow-ovs br0
>
> iface br0 inet dhcp
>
>     ovs_type OVSBridge
>
>     ovs_ports eth0
>

> allow-br0 eth0
>
> iface eth0 inet manual
>
>     ovs_bridge br0
>
>     ovs_type OVSPort
>
> I am still unable to load br0 with ifup.
>

> vagrant at magma-dev:/etc/network/interfaces.d$ sudo ifup br0
>
> Cannot find device "br0"
>
> Bind socket to interface: No such device
>

> exiting.
>
> Failed to bring up br0.
>
> How do these interfaces get set up? Is there anyway to debug this? I've built this package from source, so I want to make sure I am not missing dependencies. Also should I be adding any additional systemctl units or should adding "openvswitch-switch" be enough?

The Debian packages should have all the right build dependencies and
runtime dependencies to make sure that you're not missing something.
(Some ways to build Debian packages don't check the build dependencies,
though, so to be really sure you should make sure that you have
installed all the Build-Depends and Build-Depends-Indep listed in
debian/control.)

Guru (CCed) wrote the /etc/network/interfaces integration and knows it
much better than me, so I hope that he will help with that part of the
question.