[ovs-discuss] Cannot install meter

Cédric MORIN cedric.morin at imt-atlantique.fr
Mon Oct 16 10:17:30 UTC 2017

Hi,

I have a question regarding meters in OVS, I hope this is the correct mailing list to ask it.

According to the FAQ "Since version 2.0, Open vSwitch has OpenFlow protocol support for OpenFlow meters. Currently, only the userspace datapath implements meters" (http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/faq/qos/),
and according to the release notes of v.2.8.0 : "The "meter" action is now supported in the userspace datapath" (http://openvswitch.org/releases/NEWS-2.8.0).
So I suppose it is now possible to create meters in OVS 2.8.0.

I downloaded OVS 2.8.0, then 2.8.1, but I didn't manage to create a meter.

I first used directly the OVS command line :
> ovs-ofctl -O Openflow13 add-meter br0 meter=2,kbps,band=type=drop,rate=15000
I got the following output :
"
OFPT_ERROR (OF1.3) (xid=0x2): OFPMMFC_INVALID_METER
OFPT_METER_MOD (OF1.3) (xid=0x2): ADD meter=2 kbps bands=
type=drop rate=15000
"
The output is different from v.2.7.2's one : "OFPMMFC_OUT_OF_METERS".

I supposed that the command was wrong, so I tried to create a meter through OpenDaylight API, with a command that was successful for CPqD switch. ODL accepted the command, but the rule wasn't created, so the problem must be at switch level.

Is meter really implemented in OVS newest versions ? If so, could you please give me a command line to create a meter ?

Thank you