[ovs-discuss] how many CPU cannot allocate for PMD thread?

Flavio Leitner fbl at sysclose.org
Wed Sep 20 12:59:47 UTC 2017

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 09:13:55 +0800
Sun Paul <paulrbk at gmail.com> wrote:

> sorry about that
>
> # ovs-vsctl get Open_vSwitch . other_config
> {dpdk-init="true", n-dpdk-rxqs="2", pmd-cpu-mask="0x6"}

Have you tried to change pmd-cpu-mask? Because that is mask of bits
representing the CPUs you allow PMDs to be created.  In this case,
you are saying '0x6' (binary mask: 0110), so only two CPUs.

Also check ovs-vswitchd.conf.db(5) man-page:

       other_config : pmd-cpu-mask: optional string
              Specifies  CPU  mask for setting the cpu affinity of PMD (Poll Mode
              Driver) threads. Value should be in the form of hex string, similar
              to  the  dpdk  EAL ’-c COREMASK’ option input or the ’taskset’ mask
              input.

              The lowest order bit corresponds to the first CPU core. A  set  bit
              means  the corresponding core is available and a pmd thread will be
              created and pinned to it. If the input does not  cover  all  cores,
              those uncovered cores are considered not set.

              If not specified, one pmd thread will be created for each numa node
              and pinned to any available core on the numa node by default.

fbl

--
Flavio