[ovs-discuss] Controller to Switch distance (milli-second) limits

Ben Pfaff blp at ovn.org
Sun Apr 1 16:46:31 UTC 2018

On Sun, Apr 01, 2018 at 08:45:05AM -0400, ravimalhot . wrote:
> I am working on a topology where the Controller is separated from its OVS
> instances by over 30 milliseconds.  I imagine that the performance of the
> Controller will begin to degrade as its distance to OVS instances increases
> since the Controller will be waiting longer and that would consume more
> resources on the Controller. I spend some time searching this topic but did
> not find anything. Can someone point me to an indepth discussion of this
> topic?

I don't know of an in-depth discussion.  I'll point out, though, that
the architecture of the controller makes a great difference.  If the
controller is reactive, that is, if it sets up flows in reaction to
traffic (received via packet-ins), then it will be affected much more by
the RTT to the switch than if it is proactive.

> Also, I am new to this mailing list. I tried to look in the archives first
> and I did not see an easy way to search them -- the archives are available
> as downloadable text files (one file per month).  I would have to download
> the files and then search through them individually. Am I missing an easier
> way to search?

You can use Google or another search engine to search, if you specify
"site:openvswitch.org".  Works quite well.