[ovs-discuss] ovs-dpdk performance not stable

Stokes, Ian ian.stokes at intel.com
Tue Apr 17 15:28:21 UTC 2018

Hi Michael,

Are you using dpdk vhostuser ports in this deployment?

I would expect to see them listed in the output of ovs-appctl dpif-netdev/pmd-rxq-show you posted below.

Can you describe the expected traffic flow ( Is it North/South using DPDK phy devices as well as vhost devices or east/west between vm interfaces only).

OVS 2.6 has the ability to isolate and pin rxq queues for dpdk devices to specific PMDs also. This can help provide more stable throughput and defined behavior. Without doing this I believe the distribution of rxqs was dealt with in a round robin manner which could change between deployments. This could explain what you are seeing i.e. sometimes the traffic runs without drops.

You could try to examine ovs-appctl dpif-netdev/pmd-rxq-show when traffic is dropping and then again when traffic is passing without issue. This output along with the flows in each case might provide a clue as to what is happening. If there is a difference between the two you could investigate pinning the rxqs to the specific setup although you will only benefit from this when have at least 2 PMDs instead of 1.

Also OVS 2.6 and DPDK 16.07 aren’t the latest releases of OVS & DPDK, have you tried the same tests using the latest OVS 2.9 and DPDK 17.11?

Ian