[ovs-discuss] The kernel module does not support meters

Justin Pettit jpettit at ovn.org
Tue Aug 7 08:47:05 UTC 2018

> On Aug 6, 2018, at 8:49 PM, Vikas Kumar <vikassanmacs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> hi Team,
> kindly help me on this, when i am typing sudo ovs-dpctl dump-flows command, i am getting the below error
> |00001|dpif_netlink|INFO|The kernel module does not support meters.
>
> I am using the below ubuntu version:
>
> 4.14.13-041413-generic

Meters were introduced to the Linux kernel in 4.15, so earlier versions don't support them.  Unfortunately, all the released upstream kernels have a bug in them that prevents meters from being used properly.  A patch was recently accepted upstream, which means that new releases (including maintained older kernels) should receive the fix.

The OVS 2.10 out-of-tree kernel module will contain meters on all supported kernels.

All of that said, unless you need meters, you can just ignore that message; it's just informational.

--Justin