[ovs-discuss] The kernel module does not support meters

Justin Pettit jpettit at ovn.org
Tue Aug 7 10:00:14 UTC 2018

Right, the OVS out-of-tree kernel module (the one that ships with OVS) doesn't support kernels greater than 4.14 yet.  When OVS 2.10 ships, the plan is to include support for at least kernel 4.15.

The Linux kernel includes an OVS kernel module, which always works with whatever Linux kernel it ships with.  However, it will only include whatever OVS features were included at the time of that kernel release.  We maintain the out-of-tree kernel module so that we can introduce new features to those older kernels.  Maintaining this backwards compatibility in the out-of-tree kernel module can be fairly complex at times, which is why it sometimes lags behind the latest kernel releases.

--Justin