[ovs-discuss] OvS and Opendaylight

Ashish Varma ashishvarma.ovs at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 00:36:22 UTC 2018

I tried out ODL (nitrogen SR3) with the latest OVS (2.10.90) with the
following configuration:

sudo ovs-vsctl show
c4f25e49-0e9c-4861-bd2d-e82f20a80864
    Bridge "br20"
        Controller "tcp:10.xx.xx.xx:6653"  <-- ODL
            is_connected: true
        Port "br20"
            Interface "br20"
                type: internal
    Bridge "br1"
        Port "br1"
            Interface "br1"
                type: internal
        Port "veth_t2"
            Interface "veth_t2"
        Port "veth_t0"
            Interface "veth_t0"
    ovs_version: "2.10.90"

On the wire, I could see OVS sending out HELLO:

OpenFlow 1.4
    Version: 1.4 (0x05)
    Type: OFPT_HELLO (0)
    Length: 8
    Transaction ID: 2

with no "element" field.

ODL sends back the HELLO:

OpenFlow 1.3
    Version: 1.3 (0x04)
    Type: OFPT_HELLO (0)
    Length: 16
    Transaction ID: 21
    Element
        Type: OFPHET_VERSIONBITMAP (1)
        Length: 8
        Bitmap: 00000012

No further handshake messages are sent except Version 1.3 (0x4) ECHO
generated by OVS and it's response by ODL.
The TCP connection is not torn down and it gets into a stalemate condition
with nothing else happening.

----------------------

On the other instance with same ODL and OVS but with following
configuration:

sudo ovs-vsctl show
c4f25e49-0e9c-4861-bd2d-e82f20a80864
    Bridge "br20"
        Port "br20"
            Interface "br20"
                type: internal
    Bridge "br1"
        Controller "tcp:10.xx.xx.xx:6653"  <-- ODL
            is_connected: true
        Port "br1"
            Interface "br1"
                type: internal
        Port "veth_t2"
            Interface "veth_t2"
        Port "veth_t0"
            Interface "veth_t0"
    ovs_version: "2.10.90"

OVS generates HELLO with the "element" field:

OpenFlow 1.5
    Version: 1.5 (0x06)
    Type: OFPT_HELLO (0)
    Length: 16
    Transaction ID: 3
    Element
        Type: OFPHET_VERSIONBITMAP (1)
        Length: 8
        Bitmap: 00000072

In response, ODL generates FEATURES REQUEST message to which OVS responds
and the handshake and other messages seem to be exchanged normally.
ODL does not generate it's HELLO message.(but this is not a problem)