[ovs-discuss] OVS not forwarding between physical ports (DSA)

John Skopis john at skopis.com
Sun Dec 2 14:23:02 UTC 2018

Hello,

I am relatively new to OVS. Based on everything I have seen this should
work. So maybe this is PEBKAC. :)

The setup is a single expressobin running archlinux arm,
openvswitch 2.10.1-1, linux 4.19.4-1-ARCH.
The espressobin has a marvell mv88e6085 nic that uses linux DSA
(Distributed Switch Architecture) for 3 ports (wan, lan0, lan1).
I have an IP on wan port and use that to ssh in. I have configured
lan0,lan1 in an ovs netdev bridge.
I have a windows machine connected to lan0. lan1 is connected to a mikrotik
bridge.

This is what I can see:
https://dpaste.de/00LZ

When I reboot the espressobin I am able to ping the windows box for a short
while, i.e. until linux is booted. When linux is fully booted the traffic
stops.

I have a constant ping running on the windows machine for mikrotik gw
(192.168.88.1). Using tcpdump on the espressobin I can see arp coming in on
lan0 (Request who-has 192.168.88.1) and those frames flooded to br0,lan1.

The mikrotik does learn the mac of the windows machine so I believe it is
responding to those arp requests. I do not see any replies coming in on
lan1.

To confirm this theory I connect my laptop to lan1 and add the mikrotik ip
(192.168.88.1).
This is a tcpdump from my laptop perspective:
https://dpaste.de/B93K
My laptop learns the mac and sends a response.

This is a tcpdump on espresso bin (lan1):
https://dpaste.de/j5O2
The espressobin doesn't RX the reply.

Seems like maybe I need a crossover cable here? I don't have one handy so I
will need to order...

Remember how I said I saw traffic flowing until the box was rebooted. If I
make a linux bridge
ovs-vsctl del-br br0
brctl addbr br0
brctl addif br0 lan0
brctl addif br0 lan1

Immediately it works as expected.

So do I need a crossover cable? the espressobin doesn't support MDI.
or is there something else I can try?

Thanks,
John