[ovs-discuss] actions=in_port behavior

Sachin Sharma sharonsachin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 12:24:02 UTC 2018

Hi all,
I have created a setup of two nodes : VMa-----VMb. I ran ovs in VMb and
added the following flow entry in vmb:  ovs-ofctl add-flow vmb in_port=1,
actions=in_port.
I now sent a ping message from VMa towards VMb.  As I have a flow entry at
VMb with actions= in_port, I expect that the same packet should be received
by VMa. However, this is not happening.

Currently, packets are looping back at VMb without even going to VMa
(similar to hair pin). Is this the correct behavior of the above flow
entry? or should VMa receive the packet which it has sent it before to VMb?

If the above is the correct behavior, could you please suggest a way to
forward a packet back to VMa (from the in_port of VMb) .
Could you please clarify it?

Thank you!
Kind Regards,
S.