[ovs-discuss] OVS-DPDK - vxlan questions

Asaf Penso asafp at mellanox.com
Mon Dec 10 10:43:01 UTC 2018

Hello all,

I've started to look at the OVS-DPDK vxlan tunneling feature as well as the different examples in openvswitch.org.
I have a few questions/notes on which I would be glad to have your opinion and thoughts.

  1.  When configuring port as type vxlan the remote_ip option is a must.
It can be a hard-coded address, e.g. 192.168.10.1, or can be equal to flow (i.e.: options:remote_ip=flow).
In flow option, the value will be set according to an OpenFlow rule in case of a match (e.g.: set_field:192.168.0.200->tun_dst).
Is this accurate?

  1.  The rest of the options (i.e: tos, csum, ttl, dst_port, seq, df_default, exts, egress_pkt_mark, erspan_idx/ver/dir/hwid, in_key/out_key/key)

are optional. Correct?

  1.  Is there a way to configure the destination MAC address statically (as part of add-port) or dynamically (with OpenFlow rule)?

I haven't found this in the code and maybe I'm not looking at the right place.

  1.  In addition to the previous question, is there a way to avoid the ARP request in kernel and do it somehow in OVS?

  1.  Assuming we can configure the destination MAC address and can avoid the ARP request, is there a purpose to the br-int?

Can we just use a single bridge between the VM and the NIC with action of encap/decap?

Regards,
Asaf Penso