[ovs-discuss] Default datapath_type of Bridges

Tobias Hofmann -T (tohofman - AAP3 INC at Cisco) tohofman at cisco.com
Mon Dec 10 22:01:48 UTC 2018

Hi,

I noticed that the property datapath_type of a freshly created bridge is by default empty. In order to support DPDK, I have to set the datapath_type to netdev.

Now when I want to disable DPDK, I try to remove the datapath_type again which fails saying that datapath_type cannot be empty. This is weird since the datapath_type is initally empty after creating the bridge from scratch.

I saw that there is also the option to set the datapath_type to system which is apparently the default setting.
So my question is whether the type system is technically the same as no entry for the datapath_type at all.
If so, wouldn’t it make sense to set the datapath_type as system after bridge creation instead of leaving it empty.

Thanks for your help,
Toby