[ovs-discuss] Single nic server and ovn

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Wed Dec 19 19:30:05 UTC 2018

On 12/18/2018 11:56 PM, Vasiliy Tolstov wrote:
> Hi, i have some servers that have only one nic for network. As i
> understand for ovn i need to add this interface to ovs bridge.
> But for host access i need some ip address on server and also if ovs or
> ovn is down or something else with this services i can't connect to server.

I have multiple machines with a single interface (or single logical that
is multiple physicals bonded).  It works well.

> How to deal with such case? Or only one thing is to create localnet port
> in ovn?

I add the interface(s) to OvS and use an internal OvS port to assign my
IP(s) to.

5ff87006-3e41-4204-94f5-ad44a8f9d5a8
     Bridge "eth0"
         Port "eth0"
             Interface "eth0"
                 type: internal
         Port "lab1"
             tag: 101
             Interface "lab1"
                 type: internal

I have my management IP(s) on the eth0 internal (logical) interface.

I then use other internal ports for various different things.

It works great.

IMHO, OvS is somewhat better, especially when bonding and using VLANs.
OvS handles those more cleanly than needing to create a bond interface
and VLAN sub-interfaces on top of the bond.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die