[ovs-discuss] Cannot Add Meter in OVS 2.10.2

Ramzah Rehman ramzahrehman at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 07:02:50 UTC 2018

It is mentioned in FAQ of QoS that "Open vSwitch 2.10 has implemented
meters in the Linux kernel datapath "  which means we can use meters in
kernel datapath. However, when I try to add meter, I get
OFPMMFC_INVALID_METER error. This is what I did.

#ovs-vsctl add-br br0
#ovs-vsctl set bridge br0
protocols=OpenFlow10,OpenFlow11,OpenFlow12,OpenFlow13,OpenFlow14,OpenFlow15
#ovs-ofctl -O OpenFlow15 add-meter br0
meter=100,kbps,band=type=drop,rate=300000
OFPT_ERROR (OF1.3) (xid=0x2): OFPMMFC_INVALID_METER
OFPT_METER_MOD (OF1.3) (xid=0x2): ADD meter=100 kbps bands=
type=drop rate=300000

Please let me what I am doing wrong. One important thing to mention here is
that when I set the type of switch to netdev like this:

#ovs-vsctl set bridge br0 datapath_type=netdev

I can add meters without any error. What's the reason? There's one problem
with this as well, I cannot achieve throughput more than 500Mbps on 1Gbps
link once I set the datapath type to netdev.

Best Regards,
Ramzah Rehman