[ovs-discuss] access ovsdb in Python

Riccardo Ravaioli riccardoravaioli at gmail.com
Mon Feb 12 10:15:57 UTC 2018

Hi,

I need to query ovsdb to find out the current topology of bridges, switches
and interfaces. So far I've been launching ovs-vsctl as an external process
from my Python script and each such query takes between 10 and 15
milliseconds. The number of queries increases linearly with the number of
bridges/ports/interfaces, so I'm looking for a faster way to access ovsdb
from Python code.

I see there's a subdirectory Python in the github repository of
openvswitch, but it doesn't seem to be too documented. Is this what I'm
looking for? If so, are there any examples on how to use it?
https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/tree/master/python/

Thanks!

Riccardo