[ovs-discuss] OpenStack profiling with networking-ovn - port creation is slow

Han Zhou zhouhan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 16:56:42 UTC 2018

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 8:15 AM, Ben Pfaff <blp at ovn.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 19, 2018 at 11:33:11AM +0100, Daniel Alvarez Sanchez wrote:
> > @Han, I can try rebase the patch if you want but that was
> > basically renaming the Address_Set table and from Ben's
> > comment, it may be better to keep the name. Not sure,
> > however, how we can proceed to address Lucas' points in
> > this thread.
>
> I wouldn't rename the table.  It sounds like the priority should be to
> add support for sets of port names.  I thought that there was already a
> patch for that to be rebased, but maybe I misunderstood.

I feel it is better to add a new table for port group explicitly, and the
column type can be a set of weak reference to Logical_Switch_Port.
The benefits are:
- Better data integrity: deleting a lport automatically deletes from the
port group
- No confusion about the type of records in a single table
- Existing Address_Set mechanism will continue to be supported without any
change
- Furthermore, the race condition issue brought up by Lucas can be solved
by supporting port-group in IP address match condition in ovn-controller,
so that all addresses in the lports are used just like how AddressSet is
used today. And there is no need for Neutron networking-ovn to use
AddressSet any more. Since addresses are deduced from lports, the ordering
of deleting/adding doesn't matter any more.

How does this sound?

Thanks,
Han