[ovs-discuss] Facing issues while using OVS-DPDK based vhostuser interface.

Anirudh Chanagiri Anirudh.Chanagiri at riverbed.com
Thu Feb 22 05:30:46 UTC 2018

Hello everyone,
We are having some  issues using ovs-dpdk with vhostuser interface,
Seeking your help on the same.

Description of the issue :

Setup Details:
                  1.  Host is  an Ubuntu 17.04.
  2.  We have created an open OVS switch with 2 arms  , one arm of the switch is physical interface which is given to DPDK driver and the the other arm is the dpdkvhostuser interface, which is given to an ubuntu 16.04 VM.
  3.  Inside the Ubuntu VM , we are not running  any DPDK based application.
  4.  We just want to check the connectivity of the guest VM to the outside world using DPDK-OVS

Version details:
1.  Open v switch version.
ovs-vswitchd --version ovs-vswitchd (Open vSwitch) 2.8.0
2. Guest Ubuntu 16.04,  Kernel version 4.4.0-62-generic
3.  Host  Ubuntu 17.04, Kernel version 4.13.0-32-generic
4. DPDK version 17.05.2

       Problem description:
We are unable to have connectivity to/from the VM  using OVS-DPDK vhostuser interface.

1.  If we assign an ip to the OVS bridge and try pinging it, even that doesn’t work.
2.  If use a tun/tap interface instead of dpdkvhostuser interface the connectivity works fine. So the issue is specific to dpdkvhostuser interface.

Seeking your help to resolve the same.
Attaching the output of some useful commands and a setup diagram.

Regards,
Anirudh