[ovs-discuss] clustered OVSDB in 2.9 or 2.10?

Ben Pfaff blp at ovn.org
Thu Jan 11 19:58:01 UTC 2018

I posted the patches to add clustering support to OVSDB at the end of
last year so that it was technically qualified to make it into OVS 2.9.
At least in OVS 2.9, it will be marked "experimental", since it's a
major change that might need work to be suitable for production (we
simply don't know yet).  Since it's a huge change, review is naturally
taking a while.

It occurred to me that it might make more sense to get this into master
just after we branch for 2.9.  Then it would be basically the first
feature in 2.10.  That would give us the whole 2.10 release cycle to get
it from experimental to something production quality, and we could in
theory release 2.10 with a solid clustered OVSDB.  Instead of
experimental in 2.9 and then production in 2.10, we'd just have
production in 2.10.  That might also give us some opportunity to make
breaking changes within the 2.10 cycle that users who were experimenting
with 2.9 might be reluctant to accept as part of an upgrade.

Does anyone have thoughts on which is the preferred path?

Thanks,

Ben.