[ovs-discuss] ping between 2 instances using an ovs in the middle

Scott Lowe scott.lowe at scottlowe.org
Wed Jan 17 15:44:26 UTC 2018

> On Jan 16, 2018, at 9:28 AM, David Gabriel <davidgab283 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dears,
>
> I am writing you this email to look for your help in order to fix a problem, I am facing since a while, related to creating two ubuntu instances in Openstack (Fuel 9.2 for Mitaka) and setting an ovs bridge in each VM.
> Here is the problem description:
> I have defined two instances called VM1 and VM2 and ovs bridge, each one of them is deployed in one Virtual Machine (VM) based on this simple topology:
> VM1 ---LAN1----OVS---LAN2--- VM2
>
> I used the following commands, taken from some tutorial, for OVS:
>

> ovs-vsctl add-br mybridge1
> ifconfig mybridge1 up
> ovs-vsctl add-port eth1 mybridge1
> ifconfig eth1 0
> ovs-vsctl add-port eth1 mybridge1 ovs-vsctl set-controller mybridge tcp:AddressOfController:6633
>
> Then I tried to make the ping between the two VMs but it fails !
> Could you please tell/guide me how to fix this problem.

When running OVS in a VM, the VM's NICs assigned to the OVS bridge must typically be put into promiscuous mode, something that not all virtualized networking solutions (Neutron, in this case) support. I suspect that you'll need to check with the provider you're using behind Neutron to see if you can enable promiscuous mode on the OVS VM's NICs. Whether this is possible and the process for doing so will depend upon the Neutron provider in use.

--
Scott