[ovs-discuss] OVS port name differ from interface name

Riccardo Ravaioli riccardoravaioli at gmail.com
Thu Jan 18 13:17:03 UTC 2018

Hi Ben,

I have a related question. I do the following in order to have a bridge br
with ports 0.br, 1.br... and later add existing interfaces to such ports:

ovs-vsctl add-br br
ovs-vsctl add-port br 0.br
ovs-vsctl --id=@ifce create interface  name=eth1 -- set port 0.br
interface=@ifce

When I execute the "ovs-vsctl add-port' command above I get an error saying
that 0.br doesn't correspond to any interface:
*ovs-vsctl: Error detected while setting up '0.switch5': could not open
network device 0.switch5 (No such device).*

Can I pass an argument to "ovs-vsctl add-port" to tell OVS that 0.br is
just a switch port and not a real existing interface?

______