[ovs-discuss] unable to bring up simple switch with "eno1" interface for ethernet

Brian E. Lavender brian at brie.com
Sun Jul 1 06:08:07 UTC 2018

I am using Debian and I am just trying to get a simple bridge going and
connect the ethernet to it. It is an Intel NUC and the ethernet shows up
as "eno1". I don't know why it doesn't come up as "eth0".

iface eno1 inet dhcp
auto eno1

But, if I replace that with the following, it doesn't come up.

allow-ovs br0
iface br0 inet dhcp
    ovs_type OVSBridge
    ovs_ports eno1

allow-br0 eno1
iface eno1 inet manual
    ovs_bridge br0
    ovs_type OVSPort

I check the system and when I look at the output of "ip address", it
shows DOWN for interface "eno1". If I do the following from the command
line, the bridge comes up and I get an IP address. The "#" indicates ran
as root.

# ip link set dev eno1 up
# ovs-vsctl add-br br0
# ovs-vsctl add-port br0 eno1
# dhclient br0

Is there something I am missing in my interfaces file on Debian?

brian
--
Brian Lavender
http://www.brie.com/brian/