[ovs-discuss] OVS rules addition time

alp.arslan at xflowresearch.com alp.arslan at xflowresearch.com
Wed Jul 11 15:29:48 UTC 2018

Hi everyone, is there a way to ensure that an OVS rule is added in a certain
fixed amount of time?

I am using ovs-ofctl to add/delete rules from OVS-DPDK (v2.9.0). Under a
high load case (more than 100,000 rules already in the dpctl ) the time to
add rules goes up to seconds. The only reason I can see is that it takes a
lot of time to revalidate these rules, once new are added. I have set the
number of revalidators to 4, and even run them on dedicated cores, this
works fine when the rules are not added frequently, but as soon as the rate
of rule addition/deletion goes up (rules are added one after the other with
a delay of 10ms), the time starts shooting up.

I would really appreciate some help in this matter. Increasing the number of
revalidators even more is not possible in my scenario as I am out of cores.
Is there any settings that can ensure that rules gets added really fast.

Regards,