[ovs-discuss] Connecting 2 separated OvS

Scott Lowe scott.lowe at scottlowe.org
Sat Jun 2 00:46:21 UTC 2018

Please see my responses inline, prefixed with [SL].

On 06/01/2018 06:35 AM, Jose Carlos Ferreira de Melo Junior wrote:
> Yes,  the final idea is connect them to a openflow controller and then
> generate some isolated trafic among them.
>
> But I dont know how it would be logically. For example: to connect one
> OvS bridge to another OvS bridge I heard about patch port but I think
> it's not working.

[SL] It is my understanding that patch ports are only for connecting OVS
bridges on the same system, not between systems.

> how can I be sure the connection really works? I don't know if Im
> missing something

[SL] From a control plane (switch to controller) perspective, OVS will
provide some feedback about whether a connection to the controller was
successful (I believe some feedback is provided via `ovs-vsctl`, other
commands may provide even more information).

From a data plane perspective, I guess you'll just need to set up the
environment and then use the appropriate tools (tcpdump, etc.) to verify
that the traffic is flowing as expected. OVS has some additional tools
that will help here as well, like `ovs-dpctl`. The man pages for OVS
will be very helpful in determining the best ways to verify if traffic
is behaving as you expect/intend.

--
Scott