[ovs-discuss] Seeking help on bringing up ovs defined network at boot under Ubuntu bionic

Stephen V. Nesbitt snesbitt at aussieswithtails.com
Thu Jun 28 18:58:49 UTC 2018

Noob alert! I am looking for a recipe that will configure an OVS defined
network at boot on Ubuntu bionic.

My ovs network comprises the following:

* switch0

* enp3s0 - physical NIC defined as a port tagged with 100 and marked as
vlan_mode=native-untagged

* vnet100 - port tagged with 100 and set with an internal interface

* vlan100 - a fake bridge (add-br vlan100 switch0 100) which gets the ip
address

As far as I can tell this is working - my host system is attached to the
192.168.0.1/26 and I can give containers access to this network using
vlan100.

What I don't know how to do is setup an Ubuntu bionic system to bring
this network up at boot. I've looked at the following options:

* Netplan - doesn't look like it will support this.

* Systemd-networkd - maybe, but it is unclear how.

* switch to ifupdown and define an interfaces file using allow-ovs stanzas.

I've spent most of my time looking at ifupdown. But simply can't get it
to work. Specifically my interfaces file is apparently ignored. I
*think* this is caused because ifup needs to be called with the
--allow=ovs option. But I have no idea how to enable this.

Other questions include whether I need to add an
openvswitch-nonetwork.system file to ensure the openvswitch is enabled
prior to bringing up the network and whether the auto clause is needed
(and where) with the interface definition.

If someone could provide - or point me to - a recipe I'd be very
appreciative.

Thx in advance,

-steve