[ovs-discuss] Controller recognizes bridges as hosts!!!

Sh j segunhz at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 17:21:06 UTC 2018

Thank you for your reply.

The problem is that if I do not assign IP addresses to bridges, these two
OVSs can not ping each other.
There are some papers that they use OVSs to connect each other without any
hosts connected to them (wmSDN).
In that case, is it possible to configure OVS to avoid the controller to
recognize IP addresses assigned to bridges as hosts?

The main problem is that in the mentioned topology the packet_in
messages to the controller will be different between when we have hosts
connected to OVSs and when there is no host.

When the controller considers the IP addresses as host, and node1 running
OVS1(10.0.0.1) ping node2 running OVS2(10.0.0.2), OVS1 sends ARP request to
the controller as packet_in. But in case we do not have any host, OVS1 is
supposed to send  ICMP messages as packet_in to the controller and then
broadcast ARP to get the MAC address of node2(running OVS2).
I want to have the second the scenario. Could you help me with
this configuration?

Thank you