[ovs-discuss] linking against openvswitch: vconn and ofpbuf

Sirio Balmelli sirio.bm at gmail.com
Sun Mar 25 23:35:36 UTC 2018

Hello,

I’m writing here because I failed to find an issues page on the ovs GitHub, please forgive me if this is the wrong address.

I’m building a trivial OpenFlow controller to test and play with a specific case of packet mangling/rewriting.
I am linking against openvswitch 2.5.4, hoping to avoid re-implementing any of the openflow and connection-specific code.

From poking around the sources I’m assuming (please set me straight if I’m wrong) that ‘vconn’ is a good API layer into ovs?
I’m successfully using vconn_open(), vconn_close() etc as declared in vconn.h

However, vconn_recv() allocates a ‘struct ofpbuf’ which is not defined in any of the headers exported by openvswitch.
Additionally, caller (me) is responsible for freeing memory using ofpbuf_delete(), but this is again not declared in any header exported by openvswitch.

Any pointers or advice you might give is very much appreciated.

All the best,

Sirio
https://github.com/siriobalmelli