[ovs-discuss] Hash function

Slavica Tomovic slavicat.cg at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 22:02:00 UTC 2018

Hi,

I have a problem when trying to do equal load balancing with OVS switches.
For example, in one scenario I had three buckets with equal weights (10). I
generated 9 flows that differ in terms of destination IP address (towards
the same egress OVS node). However, the result was as follows:
1. bucket - 5 flows
2. bucket - 2 flows
3. bucket - 2 flows

These traffic flows are the only flows that traverse the table (I adjusted
flow table rule to achieve that), so unequal traffic splitting is not due
to ARP traffic or something similar.

Is this due to hash function? Can I somehow overcome this issue and achieve
splitting according to the weights?

This is really important for me because I am trying to test load balancing
algorithm that optimizes network performance by periodically adjusting the
weights to a current network state.

Thanks in advance,
Slavica