[ovs-discuss] Incremental perf results

Mark Michelson mmichels at redhat.com
Thu May 3 16:58:42 UTC 2018

Hi Han,

(cc'ed ovs-discuss)

I have some test results here for your incremental branch[0].

Browbeat was the test orchestrator for the test, and it uses
ovn-scale-test[1] to configure the test parameters and run the test.

The test use one central node on which ovn-northd runs. There are three
farm nodes on which sandboxes are run for ovn-controller. Each farm node
runs 24 sandboxes, for a total of 72 sandboxes (and thus 72
ovn-controller processes).

The test uses the datapath context[2] to set up 72 logical switches and
one logical router in advance. Then during each test iteration, a
logical switch port is added to one of the logical switches and bound on
one of the sandboxes. The next iteration does not start until the
previous iteration is 100% complete (i.e. we see that the logical switch
port is "up" in the northbound db). The total number of logical switch
ports added during the tests is 3312.

During the test, I ran `perf record` on one of the ovn-controller
processes and then created a flame graph[3] from the results. I have
attached the flame graph to this e-mail. I think this can give us a good
jumping off point for determining more optimizations to make to
ovn-controller.

[0] https://github.com/hzhou8/ovs/tree/ip7
[1] https://github.com/openvswitch/ovn-scale-test
[2] https://github.com/openvswitch/ovn-scale-test/pull/165