[ovs-discuss] Multiple dpdk-netdev datapath with OVS 2.9

Ben Pfaff blp at ovn.org
Fri May 4 06:29:04 UTC 2018

It's mostly for historical reasons.

We do try to document in ovs-vswitchd(8) that the user should not manage
datapaths themselves:

       ovs-vswitchd does all the necessary management of Open vSwitch
       datapaths itself.  Thus, external tools, such ovs-dpctl(8), are
       not needed for managing datapaths in conjunction with
       ovs-vswitchd, and their use to modify datapaths when ovs-vswitchd
       is running can interfere with its operation.  (ovs-dpctl may
       still be useful for diagnostics.)

I guess that the wording should be updated to reflect the "ovs-appctl"
interface too.

I sent a patch to improve the docs here:
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/908532/