[ovs-discuss] Open vSwitch Prometheus exporter for the kernel datapath

Matt Layher mlayher at digitalocean.com
Wed May 9 17:04:32 UTC 2018

Hi all!

At DigitalOcean, we make heavy use of Open vSwitch but haven't ever had
much visibility into what the datapath is actually doing.

To remedy this, we've created and open sourced a Prometheus
(https://prometheus.io) metrics exporter for OVS:
https://github.com/digitalocean/openvswitch_exporter

It currently gathers metrics from the kernel datapath using genetlink
with the "ovs_datapath" family, but we are open to expanding it to
support more metrics and datapaths as well, assuming it can be done in a
modular way.

The README file provides a quick overview of what the statistics look
like, but feel free to file an issue if you run into any trouble.

Thanks for your time, and I hope you find this useful!

Matt Layher
DigitalOcean