[ovs-discuss] Geneve and IPv6

Gregory Rose gvrose8192 at gmail.com
Fri May 11 00:54:30 UTC 2018

On 5/1/2018 6:53 PM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Hi Greg.
>
> We've had multiple reports now that Geneve kernel-based tunnels do not
> work in Open vSwitch if IPv6 is not enabled.  Do you have an idea
> whether we should consider this a bug in OVS or a bug in the
> documentation?  That is, should we plan to fix it (when we can) or
> should we plan to document that Geneve requires IPv6?  (Or is something
> else going on?)
>
> No rush.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ben.

Sorry for the late response.  It is just how the Linux kernel is
configured.  There was an internal bug
filed a few months ago where I found that geneve depends on a certain
kernel configuration that
cannot be overridden and disabling ipv6 causes the check for the
configuration to always fail.

The upshot is that there is no fix without making changes to the
upstream Linux kernel.  It is a Linux
kernel limitation and should probably be documented as you say, i.e.
"Geneve requires ipv6".

Thanks,

- Greg